Re: Packages file under version control

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:04:16AM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:

| > However, given the packages.gz file is much smaller than the total
| > files being downloaded, is it really worth it?
|
| When the mirrors sync, yes, when the average user runs
|
| # apt-get update
| # apt-get -u upgrade
|
| No.

Anything to back this up?  I just did and apt-get update/dist-upgrade
and it wants to download 86MB of stuff.  Considering that I last
dist-upgraded my (sid) machine just a few days ago, I suspect that
for anyone running unstable the Packages.gz and Sources.gz files will
be the tip of the iceberg.

For anyone running stable, the Packages.gz files rarely change and so
apt-get update will not normally bother to download them again.

Cameron.