Re: Do not touch l10n files

Em Mon, 19 May 2003 17:18:19 -0500, Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net>
escreveu:

> On 19-May-03, 11:03 (CDT), Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> > The VMS-style error codes occurred to me as well.  Though if one goes
> > that route, I wonder if gettext any longer has advantages over msgcat.
> > :)
>
> I realize you're being (at least somewhat) facetious, but if you
> start with a message like
>
> fprint(stderr, "SYS-YOURFSCKED-1334 Stupid summer intern error");
>
> used it consistently, and added "Please don't attempt to translate
> anything that looks like SYS-BLAHBLAH-CODE" to the docs, you might get
> much of what Ted wants and still get the advantages of gettext(). Of
> course, you don't get the full advantages of VMS system then, but you
> won't anyway on a Unix system.

I don't really get your point, but if you're saying that some work
would need to be done to avoid translators translating the VMS-style
erros, that's not really a problem:

fprintf (stderr, "SYS-YOURFSCKED-1334: %s\n",
	_("Stupid summer intern error"));

That would add only the error message stuff to the potfile, for example.
Of course that's not a good way of doing that, but there're many other
ways:

fprintf (stderr, "SYS-YOURFSCKED-1334: ");
fprintf (stderr, _("Stupid summer intern error\n"));

Being one of them.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>