Re: Do not touch l10n files

On 19-May-03, 11:03 (CDT), Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> The VMS-style error codes occurred to me as well.  Though if one goes
> that route, I wonder if gettext any longer has advantages over msgcat.
> :)

I realize you're being (at least somewhat) facetious, but if you
start with a message like

fprint(stderr, "SYS-YOURFSCKED-1334 Stupid summer intern error");

used it consistently, and added "Please don't attempt to translate
anything that looks like SYS-BLAHBLAH-CODE" to the docs, you might get
much of what Ted wants and still get the advantages of gettext(). Of
course, you don't get the full advantages of VMS system then, but you
won't anyway on a Unix system.

Steve

If

--