Re: Daft Internet Stuff [Re: Returning from "vacation". (MIA?)]

Matt Ryan <mryan@debian.org> wrote:
> Emile van Bergen wrote:
>> So what do you propose then, to drop everything just because you
>> cynically point out that a lot of rules are being violated today?

> What I'm saying is that (a lot of) these rules are archaic and irrelevant in
> today's Internet world. Firstly I doubt any of the people who violate the
> rules are even aware what an RFC is or what it's for - and if they did they
> probably wouldn't care.

Hello,
Which does not matter at all. "This memo does not specify an Internet
standard of any kind." having it distributed as RFC is just a
convenience, because searching for "rcf1855" on google will find
perfect hits en masse.

> Does it matter to the sender that they put a couple of extra lines
> in their signature and this *may* cause a few extra seconds download
> time for the recipient?

Yes it does, he'll get some more or less polite complaints, but that
is not the point, the netiquette is about miminumal standards of
politeness.

Is it still impolite to have a 10 line signature for every two line
article causing 100's of recipients a few extra seconds download time?
Yes, it is.

> Is forwarding a chain letter going to get them cut off by their ISP?

Probably not today.

> Will their computer explode if they type their message in CAPITALS?
[...]

No and the netiquette does not say so, instead it says "Use mixed
case.  UPPER CASE LOOKS AS IF YOU'RE SHOUTING." which is still
correct.

I'd suggest reading the netiquette from top to bottom again.
                     cu andreas