Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:04:43PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:56:08PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Do we have such standard document for the original english description ?
> > No, and there is no dedicated team to review them.
>
> debian-l10n-english

There have been no email send to this list from November 2002 to
February 2003. Can we call that a team ?

> > I think we should focus on provided accurate description not
> > typographically correct one.
>
> Why not both?

One word: <<focus>>. You may have an infinite amount of time to spend on
translation, but not all maintainers. Keeping focus on what is important
save time and patience of everybody.

> > Telling them 'you do not speak french, so don't try to understand' is
> > not acceptable.
>
> Sure it is.  If they believe that the translator is wrong, they can
> ask a trusted person of their own to review the translation.

I have done that several time myself. The result was several time that
the ddtp translation were sheer nonsense. I am sorry. So I have used
my veto right to uploaded meaningful translation.  Trust is not given
for free, one need to deserve it.

> It is silly that people who do not speak a foreign language can have a
> judgement on what a translation should look like and perform changes
> in localized files (I am not talking about the Apache description
> here) without notifying the translator.

The translator must notify the maintainer, not the converse.

For example removing trailing dot of the short description from the
french translation is wrong if the english version has it. The dot must
first be removed from the english version and then from the translation.
So notify the maintainer and wait until he upload a fixed version.

> > If you have a problem with the original translation,
> > please ask the maintainer before doing the translation. We should work
> > with him and not against him.

Sorry I meant s/you/one/g.

> 'We'?  I am glad to learn that you are going to let us benefit from
> your experience.

'We' as in 'Debian'. But maybe considering ourself as a group would not
sustain your writing aggressivity ?

As far as my experience is concerned, people allows themselves to
translate description of packages they do not understand in english
instead of giving up  and produce nonsense as translation. This is
that I would like the reviewers to focus on, not on typographical details.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.