Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:56:08PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I am french and I don't regard the 'Imprimerie Nationale' rules as binding.
> We are still a free country.
>
> Do we have such standard document for the original english description ?
> No, and there is no dedicated team to review them.

debian-l10n-english

> I think we should focus on provided accurate description not
> typographically correct one.

Why not both?

> Keeping things simple so that Debian maintainers can understand what
> is coming along with the translation is important, because they have
> the final responsibility of the package.
>
> Telling them 'you do not speak french, so don't try to understand' is
> not acceptable.

Sure it is.  If they believe that the translator is wrong, they can
ask a trusted person of their own to review the translation.
It is silly that people who do not speak a foreign language can have a
judgement on what a translation should look like and perform changes
in localized files (I am not talking about the Apache description
here) without notifying the translator.

> I do speak french and I have often trouble to understand myself.
>
> If you have a problem with the original translation,

I have no problem with it, it could and has been improved.

> please ask the maintainer before doing the translation. We should work
> with him and not against him.

'We'?  I am glad to learn that you are going to let us benefit from
your experience.

Denis