Re: Work-needing packages report for Apr 11, 2003

(Sorry for taking so long to get back)

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 08:28, Darren Salt wrote:
> Hmm. They're conffiles (not sure why, given that they're all binaries); have
> you tried 2.4 with the 2.3 drums files?

I believe I tried that, but I can't recall.  As it stands now, I just
keep the source to 2.3 around for safekeeping.

> I use it from time to time, and I think that it should be left in the archive
> until most people are using 2.6-series kernels (and, thus, ALSA).

Ah, I've been lax; I haven't even moved to ALSA yet.  Does it do good
MIDI?

> I have an SBLive; it has an on-board synth, which sounds almost as good as
> timidity (and has the advantage of using next to no CPU power).

Odd, my current SBLive (bought about a month ago) doesn't seem to have
on board synth.  Even so, if it only sounds "almost as good as"
timidity, that's pretty piss poor.

> OTOH, the only synth support for emu10k1 is in ALSA, although there's OSS
> support for the MIDI port on these cards (but I don't have anything to plug
> in there).

That would explain why I can't use synth on mine.

> Hmm... another reason to keep it, then.

Like I've said, I've got the source, I'm not too concerned, but I don't
have the time to maintain a package for it.

> A text editor :-)

Yeah, I like vim, but sometimes I just like to have a reassurance that I
haven't missed anything.

--
The more I use other operating systems, the more I like Debian GNU/Linux
http://www.debian.org      http://www.gnu.org      http://www.linux.org