Re: Work-needing packages report for Apr 11, 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 13:57, Lars Bahner wrote:
> I am not currently using anything on the wnpp-list, but it
> seems to me that not all these packages are better off gotten
> rid off.
>
> Does anyone know something about the importance of these
> packages? Has/can someone run this against the popularity-contest?

Speaking for myself, I can say that I still have playmidi installed,
albeit version 2.3 instead of 2.4 (2.4 drums sound ugly on my wavetable
for some reason I can't fathom; not a Debian problem per se, it's in
upstream too).

AFAIK, nobody uses playmidi anymore.  Most sound cards these days don't
even *come* with wavetable synthesis, and software synthesis (ie
timidity) sounds so much better than FM synthesis.  The only reason I
have playmidi installed is that I have a very nice wavetable synthesis
daughter board, and playmidi is the only thing I've found that can use
it.

I'm no "professional MIDI musician", but I suspect that most who are use
something other than playmidi.  I wouldn't miss it, and I don't think
most others will either.

As for some of the others, I was thinking about picking up gtick, but
I'm not a Debian developer, and it is rumored to be abandoned upstream.
I didn't even know about freebirth until someone mentioned that it could
probably replace gtick, but it looks like freebirth is orphaned too!

There are a couple of others in there that make me wonder: if they go
what are some (good) alternatives?  For instance, what are some good
replacements for magicfilter?  Or linuxconf?