Re: Work-needing packages report for Apr 11, 2003

I demand that Nathan Paul Simons may or may not have also sent directly to me
despite my not having requested this...

> On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 08:28, Darren Salt wrote:
>> Hmm. They're conffiles (not sure why, given that they're all binaries);
>> have you tried 2.4 with the 2.3 drums files?

> I believe I tried that, but I can't recall.  As it stands now, I just keep
> the source to 2.3 around for safekeeping.

Right...

>> I use it from time to time, and I think that it should be left in the
>> archive until most people are using 2.6-series kernels (and, thus, ALSA).

> Ah, I've been lax; I haven't even moved to ALSA yet.  Does it do good MIDI?

There are, or possibly were, a few known omissions (I forget what) but I find
that it's good enough for what I want.

>> I have an SBLive; it has an on-board synth, which sounds almost as good as
>> timidity (and has the advantage of using next to no CPU power).

> Odd, my current SBLive (bought about a month ago) doesn't seem to have on
> board synth. Even so, if it only sounds "almost as good as" timidity,
> that's pretty piss poor.

I say "almost as good as", but then I'm using headphones. Maybe I should have
said that...

Switching on its "3D" sound makes it sound practically the same... use an 8MB
soundfonts file rather than a 4MB one, or possibly good speakers instead of
cheap headphones, and it may well sound better than timidity.

>> OTOH, the only synth support for emu10k1 is in ALSA, although there's OSS
>> support for the MIDI port on these cards (but I don't have anything to
>> plug in there).

> That would explain why I can't use synth on mine.

Hmm. Build ALSA, install awesfx, put the following few lines (or something
similar; the first line works for SBLive 5.1 Digital) in a file in
/etc/modutils, run update-modules...

options snd-emu10k1 index=0 id=SBLive extin=0x3fc3 extout=0x1fff
post-install snd-emu10k1 modprobe snd-emu10k1-synth
post-install snd-emu10k1-synth modprobe snd-seq-oss
post-install snd-seq-oss /usr/bin/sfxload -i /usr/local/share/sfbank/ct4mgm.sf2

(Hmm. playmidi should suggest awesfx. <clickety>)

--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Retrocomputing: a PC card in a Risc PC

Unknown disk error, 0:1