Re: libc6 (security) update does not restart system-services?

At Sun, 20 Apr 2003 08:55:11 +0200,
Markus Amersdorfer wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:04:01 +0200
> Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 12:05:49AM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > > So everytime we have to restart all binaries which use a library
> > > involving security-problem.  In additionm this problem affects not
> > > only debian packages, but user-built binaries.
> >
> > Well, this is why it is most often described in the security advisory.
> >
> > To be shure one can eighter use "init 1" and get back to multi user
> > mode, or use tools like "lsof" or my package of "memstat" to find
> > loaded and deleeted libraries.
>
> I couldn't find any information about restarting programs and services
> (no matter what way) in DSA-282 (the corresponding DSA for the
> libc-update). Though I think it's a good idea to place such information
> in the DSA,

I also think it's nice idea that DSA describes the need to restart
services.

> I'd suppose an small "notice this" message in the postinst
> script (as described in my other mail) would be good as this information
> will reach those not reading the DSAs too.

Hmm.  This problem is applied not only glibc specific, but also all
libraries.  So I would like to take a generic approach if such a
"notice this" message should be appeared.

Regards,
-- gotom