Re: libc6 (security) update does not restart system-services?

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 12:05:49AM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> So everytime we have to restart all binaries which use a library
> involving security-problem.  In additionm this problem affects not
> only debian packages, but user-built binaries.

Well, this is why it is most often described in the security advisory.

To be shure one can eighter use "init 1" and get back to multi user mode, or
use tools like "lsof" or my package of "memstat" to find loaded and deleeted
libraries.

This is also good to do on a regular interval if you update your systems for
no security reasons:

- it will free memory and will make the filesystem get rid of open/deleted
files, which can cause problems like the inability to remount ro or messages
like "setting dtime of deleted inode" on fsck.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --