Re: libc6 (security) update does not restart system-services?

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:04:01 +0200
Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 12:05:49AM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > So everytime we have to restart all binaries which use a library
> > involving security-problem.  In additionm this problem affects not
> > only debian packages, but user-built binaries.
>
> Well, this is why it is most often described in the security advisory.
>
> To be shure one can eighter use "init 1" and get back to multi user
> mode, or use tools like "lsof" or my package of "memstat" to find
> loaded and deleeted libraries.

I couldn't find any information about restarting programs and services
(no matter what way) in DSA-282 (the corresponding DSA for the
libc-update). Though I think it's a good idea to place such information
in the DSA, I'd suppose an small "notice this" message in the postinst
script (as described in my other mail) would be good as this information
will reach those not reading the DSAs too.

Cheers
Max

--
The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.
                       <Cpt. Picard, "The Drumhead", StarTrek TNG>

http://homex.subnet.at/~max/