Re: Proposed handling of generated configuration files (Re: stop the "manage with debconf" madness)

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 03:14:34PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> - Provide 3-way merge functionality to incorporate changes without losing
>   modifications in the common case (I hear this is coming for conffiles as
>   well)

Great!

Actually what I would like (and is similar in ways to the above) is to
be able to get two diffs:

1. What did I change in my config file since the last update?
2. What did the package maintainer change since the last update?

So if the next version of the package comes with, say a totally
different format, currently you will get a huge diff file between your
file and the upstream file.

This makes it hard to realize "but I only changed one setting!", and
that transferring to the new configuration might actually be a very easy
task, of just copying that one setting across.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>