Re: libc6 (security) update does not restart system-services?

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 11:14:41PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > Well, it's hard to display package name.  However
> >
> >     lsof | grep dpkg-new | awk '{print $1, $8}' | sort +0
> >
> > make a list which describes what binary uses old libraries replaced by
> > dpkg.  To show more user friendly, it needs to remember that what
> > library files are replaced, though.
>
> I think I see where you are going.  Something like this for libc?
>
>   lsof | awk '$9 ~ /^\/lib\/libc-.*.so/{print$1, $9}'
>
> And then warn the admin with a notice about those running programs?

Funny, while I was on vacation I coded a check for the Tiger security tool
to do just this, it's called 'check_finddeleted' [1] and will point you to
processes (normal ones and daemons) that are using deleted files. It is
based on an excellent article by Brian Hatch at
http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/20020507.html. Definitely, a
must read :-)

Regards

Javi