Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:21:33PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:13:39 +0100
> Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > > Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
> > > 5.10 /var/run : Run-time variable data
> > > This directory contains system information data describing the
> > > system since it was booted. Files under this directory should be
> > > cleared(removed or truncated as appropriate) at the beginning of the
> > > boot process. Programs may have a subdirectory of /var/run; this is
> > > encouraged for programs that use more than one run-time file.
> >
> > Yes, /run is actually a very good alternative.
> >
> > Perhaps /mem is still more obvious; it also removes the association
> > that only running programs have things there. It's likely you wouldn't
> > consider (/var)/run immediately for things like ifstate, as you'd feel
> > (/var)/run to have a narrower purpose.
>
> /run is more obvious than /mem to me as its intended use is similar to
> /var/run which is clearly defined.

That's true, but /mem can be just as clearly defined, as shown earlier.

> Without defining /mem to be something like /var/run people may end up
> wanting to use it for all sorts ramdisk type stuff.

And this is bad why? It's exactly the reason why I'd prefer /mem over
/run. If it's /likely/ to be on a ramdisk, it has more uses than a
directory that only conforms to the minimum requirements of being
writable early and cleared at bootup.

/run is just *one* of the things you'd want a /mem for ;-)

Especially if part of it (which naturally doesn't include run) can be
trivially preserved at shutdown.

But I'm starting to repeat myself, so I'll shut up now.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl