Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:13:39 +0100
Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
> > 5.10 /var/run : Run-time variable data
> > This directory contains system information data describing the
> > system since it was booted. Files under this directory should be
> > cleared(removed or truncated as appropriate) at the beginning of the
> > boot process. Programs may have a subdirectory of /var/run; this is
> > encouraged for programs that use more than one run-time file.
>
> Yes, /run is actually a very good alternative.
>

> Perhaps /mem is still more obvious; it also removes the association
> that only running programs have things there. It's likely you wouldn't
> consider (/var)/run immediately for things like ifstate, as you'd feel
> (/var)/run to have a narrower purpose.

/run is more obvious than /mem to me as its intended use is similar to
/var/run which is clearly defined.

Without defining /mem to be something like /var/run people may end up
wanting to use it for all sorts ramdisk type stuff.

I hope /run does get implemented, i think it would be a good improvment.

Glenn