Re: New OpenLDAP 2.1 preview

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> Excuse me, but normally I would expect an admin who installs slapd to
> want to create a directory. I don't think we should change that aspect

Not at package config time, IMHO.  PLEASE add a "do not fucking create
anything right now, I will configure slapd manually later" possibility.

Every time I am setting up a real directory service, I have to go, fix the
slapd.conf file a lot, create entries there for various directories using
different filesystem places (I have more than one root in the server), and
so on.  I certainly would appreciate less debconf annoyance.

> of the postinst. What will change though is that dpkg-reconfigure will
> give you a simple way to replace the directory with a new one. So you
> just need to accept the defaults on slapd install and run
> dpkg-reconfigure when you want to create the real directory.

What about those of us who do not want the simple-minded setup the configure
scripts can do, and instead need something far more complex?

> > Also what is the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 apart from BDB?  What
> > benefits does BDB offer?  Is it faster for slapadd/slapcat?

SASL 2!!!  (Which means everything that uses sasl1 gets the boot on the ass
in unstable, btw. That means postfix and sendmail and other MTAs should
switch to SASL2 along with their recompile to use openldap 2.1...).  But
this should finally get us out of the "use deprecated and dangerous libs or
face terrible segfaults" era as far as SASL is concerned...

  Henrique Holschuh