Re: New OpenLDAP 2.1 preview

Hi Russell,

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 08:39:53PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I'd like to get some feedback on this. I asked Roland to upload these
> > to experimental after checking if they are okay for him. A lot is left
> > for the unstable upload, at least
>
> One feature I would like to see is the option to have it not insist on
> creating a new directory.  Sometimes I install slapd before I have an ldif
> file handy...

Excuse me, but normally I would expect an admin who installs slapd to
want to create a directory. I don't think we should change that aspect
of the postinst. What will change though is that dpkg-reconfigure will
give you a simple way to replace the directory with a new one. So you
just need to accept the defaults on slapd install and run
dpkg-reconfigure when you want to create the real directory.

> Also what is the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 apart from BDB?  What
> benefits does BDB offer?  Is it faster for slapadd/slapcat?

I did not yet look into the advantages of the new version. What I
noticed is the stuff that affects the build scripts - for example you
can now build the backends into plugins etc.

> Is 2.1 faster than 2.0 for slapadd?  slapadd is excessively slow on
> 2.0 and is single-threaded so it can't take advantage of multiple
> CPUs.

I did not yet do any performance checks. First I'd like to have
OpenLDAP 2.1 fully working (the package that is).

Greetings

	Torsten