Re: Manpages translation

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 06:01:10PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> > You may read
> >     info -n '(gettext) Concepts'
> >     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/ch-intro.en.html

> I suspect Mark meant "please explain why looking at the source is only
> relevant for i18n and not l10n". Henrique has said this far better than
> I can, though.

That and that the major requirement for understanding the code will be
in the initial i18n phase where a framework for future l10n is being
establshed - after that using the source is mostly a question of trying
to clarify poor source texts as Henrique described and should therefore
be much less frequent.  Which is about what the references Dennis quoted
say as far as I can tell.

Even when you're adding translations of pure documentation (man pages,
say) to a source if you're the first person to do that there should be
an element of i18n involved.