Re: Some proposals

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> Redhat attitude. Inofficial packages harm since they polute the
> installed package environment and the quality is not guaranteed.

We have one crucial advantage over Red Hat, a well defined policy.

> There
> are problems with upgrading from Ximian packages because they gave a
> fuck about cooperating with some other developers. There are problems
> with upgrading of non-official KDE3 packages. Can you follow me?

Sure that's why I didn't just say go to apt-get.org.  There has to be some
human editting and co-ordination to determine what would go into such an
update.  My point is this is a mostly orthoganal activity to the regular
production of packages.

As for the KDE situation.  There were two sets of unofficial packages.
One from Karolina Lindqvist which were never meant to be compatible and
one from Ralf Nolden and other Debian developers which mostly were minus
the usual bugs.  The second ones with some cleanup could go into a service
pack, the first ones never would.

> Some outsiders providing non-official shit are out of our control.

Same as now.

> Who is goind to pay them? That Not-Users that want a free but
> best-and-easiest-distro for them, or even a Windows replacement with
> NULL costs and without learning new things?

Who pays Debian developers now?  People volunteer for things that interest
them.  The problem with a huge project is for any given person, most of it
will be uninteresting.

> Who is interessted? Companies? They are already working on it.
> BUY XANDROS NEWBIE-PROOF DISTRO, NOW.

Funny but actually I just did.  I bought a laptop and decided it would
easier to install xandros on it.

So commercial interests could work with this scheme.  Volunteers might
also have reasons to make their own distros either for a specific purpose
like the Linex people or just the coolness factor.

> > > sid gets updates on a daily base, saturday and
sunday
> > > included. Do you expect companies to track the archive of 12000 pkgs every
> > > day and be able to take out a stable snapshot?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> See above, how wants to pay full-time developers without having some
> interesst of making money with this product, and this without
> competitors?

It's good we have 12000 packages but how many people install all 12000?
I have 1463 packages on this machine, 402 on my server.  A good proportion
of those 12000 I will never ever install.  So why should the release of
things which are important to me be held up by things I don't care
about?  We already do have our own private distros in our heads.  I'm
suggesting a way we can share our personal conceptions of a distro with
other like-minded people.

> No. RM can decide to just drop the package or take an old, working
> version. Not the best solution, but a working one.

Why have only one RM?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>