Re: Some proposals

#include <hallo.h>
* Jaldhar H. Vyas [Thu, Feb 27 2003, 02:53:42AM]:
> > or able to build
> > an unofficial CD out of it.
> >

> unofficial or official doesn't matter too much as long as it is available.

Redhat attitude. Inofficial packages harm since they polute the
installed package environment and the quality is not guaranteed. There
are problems with upgrading from Ximian packages because they gave a
fuck about cooperating with some other developers. There are problems
with upgrading of non-official KDE3 packages. Can you follow me?

> > I believe this will only create a lot of confusion. From the most simple
> > package that get 2 different fixes from 2 different developers that did
> > not coordinate the job to whatever can be. Things will really break badly
> > if for any reason one of the thousand DD will not coordinate correctly
> > with all the others.
> >

> Any project with more than 1 developer can face such problems.  There are
> ways to deal with it.  And any developer who doesn't play nicely with
> others will swiftly find himself getting kicked out.

Some outsiders providing non-official shit are out of our control.

> > We have policies to handle this situtation. Quality does not neceserrary
> > means speed.
> >

> Sometimes things that need to be done don't get done quickly not because
> they are hard but because of a lack of time.  Can we leverage our ~1000
> developers to improve this?

Yes. That is why I disaggree with maintainers of large that do major
decisissions without consulting others. <rant>That is what Branden did
with X 4.2 and Calc with KDE3, waiting for conditions that could not be
fullfiled in a reasonable period of time.</rant>

> > > sid would be the only Debian distribution.
> >
> > Why? everyone outside has stable and development branches.
> >

> It would be upto various release teams (commercial or volunteer) to decide
> when the packages they are interested in should be deemed stable.

Who is goind to pay them? That Not-Users that want a free but
best-and-easiest-distro for them, or even a Windows replacement with
NULL costs and without learning new things?

> > >  Other companies/interested
> > > groups of people would be responsible for putting out finished products on
> > > whatever schedule suited them.
> >
> > Based on what?
>
> Whatever they are interested in.

Who is interessted? Companies? They are already working on it.
BUY XANDROS NEWBIE-PROOF DISTRO, NOW.

> > sid gets updates on a daily base, saturday and sunday
> > included. Do you expect companies to track the archive of 12000 pkgs every
> > day and be able to take out a stable snapshot?
>
> Yes.

See above, how wants to pay full-time developers without having some
interesst of making money with this product, and this without
competitors?

> > This is partialy true for "normal users". I would never do that on a
> > server installation. I love to be sure that my "real woody" will not
> > break because done in a hurry due to a dead line forced by someone that
> > probably have no idea of quality means.
> >

> So you and other people who have the same needs would get together and
> make a server version.  Right now a release critical bug in frozenbubble
> can halt the release of your server OS.  Does that make sense?

No. RM can decide to just drop the package or take an old, working
version. Not the best solution, but a working one.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte: