Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:21:14AM -0500, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> David Nusinow wrote:
> >Many users don't even know the BTS exists (I know this from personal
> >experience on #debian), and making them familiar with it is a part of
> >the transition from being a Linux user to being a Debian user.
>
> It is not clear when you arrive to debian how to send bugs reports.  Is
> there a How to?

The standard installation puts it on your system as
/usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt. It's also on the web as
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting, and is mentioned in the Debian FAQ
(http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/, currently section 11.5).

reportbug is also part of the standard installation.

Maybe reportbug should be mentioned in /etc/motd? Compare OpenBSD:

  Please use the sendbug(1) utility to report bugs in the system.
  Before reporting a bug, please try to reproduce it with the latest
  version of the code.  With bug reports, please try to ensure that
  enough information to reproduce the problem is enclosed, and if a
  known fix for it exists, include that as well.