Re: How should this issue be handled, should it be taken to the Technical Ctte?

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 11:22:01AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 09:52, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > > This is a bit like filing a bug against the kernel saying that it should
> > > be merged with OpenBSD.
> >
> > Bullshit. Their mkinitrd is also a shell script and IMHO much better
> > readable then yours.
>
> Last time I compared Herbert's mkinitrd with the Red Hat one I determined that
> Herbert's one seemed better.  Some RH users I know did the same comparison
> and reached the same conclusion.
>
> The RH one may be more readable, but I've found Herbert's code to be readable
> enough.

	An answer just like this Russell's when Herbert closed the bug
would have been fine. I'm not discussing wether or not RedHat's mkinitrd is
better than Herbert's, that could have been done by him in the BTS.
However, closing bugs shoving off people with:

"This bug is pointless." (Herbert Xu, when closing bug #181126)

is the thing I just don't get. It's

a) rude
b) pretty uninformative

If that's how we should treat users who are filing bug reports against
Debian I'm afraid we are never going to get anyone to cooperate more than
twice.

Regards

Javi