Re: OpenSSL 0.9.6/0.9.7, LDAP, SSH, friends

Hi Brian!

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Brian May wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 06:25:06PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > +SASL2_1.7 {
> > +    global:
> > +           sasl_*;
> > +    local:
> > +           _*;
> > +};
> >
> > This won't work with libs that scatter symbols everywhere in the namespace,
> > but...
>
> Where would I find documentation on the above file, and how to use it?

I don't know :)

> I would assume "global" is for symbols that need exporting, but "local"
> is for symbols that should not get exported, and "SASL2_1.7" is the
> namespace to add to all symbols?

Yes. Actually, it is probably best to use SASL2_1 only, since sasl 2.1.7 and
2.1.8 ARE compatible, and are NOT to require any recompiling.  The ABI is
SASL 2.1, the minor revision doesn't matter and must NOT be in the symbol.

> If I got this correct, how often should the namespace be updated? Once
> for every new upstream release?

Once for every ABI change. If you can track down ABI changes to the
function, you can do it the glibc way. Otherwise, bump them all up.

Obviously, symbol versioning is only really useful if you do proper soname
versioning already.

  Henrique Holschuh