Re: testing, unstable, and dependencies

>>"Michael" == Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

 > On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 07:06:06PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
 >> The answer was no, because this would mean that libraries in unstable
 >> would never get tested before they are moved into testing.

 > Which is, as always, a silly argument because it discounts local
 > compiles and testing against unstable. It also discounts the case of
 > build dependencies forcing the use of the newer libraries.

	Local testing is nowhere as good as testing a package gets by
 being installed by people running unstable. And we have had myriad
 example of developers not being good at testing all possible code
 paths, or evedn installing packages; having libraries that several
 packages depend on getting pushed into testing untested except on the
 developers machine would, in my opinion, seriously destabilize

The morning sun when it's in your face really shows your age, But that
don't bother me none; in my eyes you're everything. I know I keep you
amused, But I feel I'm being used. Oh, Maggie, I wish I'd never seen
your face.  You took me away from home, Just to save you from being
alone; You stole my heart, and that's what really hurts.  I suppose I
could collect my books and get on back to school, Or steal my daddy's
cue and make a living out of playing pool, Or find myself a rock 'n'
roll band, That needs a helping hand, Oh, Maggie I wish I'd never seen
your face.  You made a first-class fool out of me, But I'm as blind as
a fool can be. You stole my soul, and that's a pain I can do
without. Rod Stewart, "Maggie May"