Re: A better recompile process? Was: Re: testing, unstable, and dependencies

Hi again.

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 10:43:32PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
*SNIP*

> Today:
>
> * Packages is tested when they are in unstable.
> * Packages that is compiled against (but compiles on earlier
>   versions of) packages (libs) that are buggy in unstable will be
>   held.
>
> With "my" proposed change:
>
> * Packages is tested when they are in unstable.
> * Packages can actually require some newer version of a library
>   that can not be automatically detected. This kind of things
>   is prevented today.

I have to add one thing. I actually think it is good to detect
the second type of problem (which will happen when the package
has been in testing for some time) becuase libraries is supposed
to be backwards compatible.

I also want to note one problem with "my" proposal and that
is that versioned Build-Dependencies is more important than before,
even on packages that is in build-essential. That is something that
should be considered. I can not tell if that is a big problem because
I'm not that used of using build-dependencies for arch depended things.

Regards,

// Ola

*SNIP*

/  opal@debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |