Re: Open Source Games and Cheating - a paradoxum?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 08:08:56AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Joachim writes:
> > Glenn has a good point there. If 100% Cheater-freeness is technically
> > unavailable, then what could we do to make it 95% or more?
>
> How about taking it into account in the design of the game so that cheating
> does not ruin the experience for non-cheating players, or incorporating it
> into the game somehow?
[snip]

That's what I was getting at when I referred to "social solutions". There
are many motivations to cheat, but one of the motivations is that the
cheater wants the gratification of beating the game or other players, but
doesn't want to follow the rules of the game. One possible solution is to
make it so that cheating makes the game totally pointless---so there's not
much gratification in cheating. There are probably other ways of making
cheating not worthwhile for the cheater.

Lottery: tax on the stupid. -- Slashdotter