Re: Open Source Games and Cheating - a paradoxum?

Am Mit, 2003-01-22 um 04.10 schrieb Glenn Maynard:
> In Doom, you could replace palettes to turn off the screen-redness when
> you get hit and change sprites around to make projectiles and enemies easier
> to see.  Anyone with Photoshop and a WAD extractor could do it.  Simple
> technical measures can reduce cheating from people casually extracting and
> modifyin things to people that are willing to spend some time, which is
> a big improvement.
>
> I'm only saying this because you keep saying that technical measures shouldn't
> be bothered with at all, because they're not 100% effective.  Spam can't be
> solved by technical means, either, and SpamAssassin will never be 100%
> effective, but it's still much better than nothing.
>
> (I do agree that going to extreme measures to try to prevent cheating--poking
> at users' drivers and such--is a bad thing, just like a spam filter that has
> false positives is a bad thing.)

Glenn has a good point there. If 100% Cheater-freeness is technically
unavailable, then what could we do to make it 95% or more? Maybe a
method where the hacked client would have to do some procedure every few
minutes that would take longer than that on a regular PC. Basicaly the
same as RSA - everybody can crack it and knows how to do it, it's just
it would take too long...

Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner