Re: Open Source Games and Cheating - a paradoxum?

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:36:05PM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> But back to the original question, which was that cheating spoils the game
> for others: as somebody has already said, the essence of the problem is
> social, not technical. Either only play against your friends, or live with
> cheaters (possibly alleviate the problem somewhat by finding a social, not
> technical ('cos there isn't one), solution to cope with the cheaters).

In Doom, you could replace palettes to turn off the screen-redness when
you get hit and change sprites around to make projectiles and enemies easier
to see.  Anyone with Photoshop and a WAD extractor could do it.  Simple
technical measures can reduce cheating from people casually extracting and
modifyin things to people that are willing to spend some time, which is
a big improvement.

I'm only saying this because you keep saying that technical measures shouldn't
be bothered with at all, because they're not 100% effective.  Spam can't be
solved by technical means, either, and SpamAssassin will never be 100%
effective, but it's still much better than nothing.

(I do agree that going to extreme measures to try to prevent cheating--poking
at users' drivers and such--is a bad thing, just like a spam filter that has
false positives is a bad thing.)

--
Glenn Maynard