Re: A birthday message and a RFS for Film Gimp 0.13-1

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 03:55:49PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:

> > You can simply download the weekly summaries sent to
> > debian-newmaint from http://lists.debian.org/ and generate
> > statistics yourself. But imnsho it is a waste of effort - Either
> > Debian finds a second account manager who shall act independently or
> > the numbers won't get better. I've read this mailinglist long enough
> > to realize that it is no simple quest to find somebody qualified,
> > trusted and willing to do this job.

> I think that's rather insulting to the AMs and advocates involved in the
> process.  Do you think they are so untrustworthy that having an
> extremely scrutinizing DAM is that important to the process?  To me, a
> DAM should simply review the application and accept it if there are no
> anomalies.  If there are anomalies, he can ask for further action from
> the AM until the issues are resolved.  I can't imagine there are
> shortage of people in Debian qualified to do this.

If there's no shortage of people in Debian "qualified, trusted and
willing" to do the work, why are those people not speaking for
*themselves* to object to the current handling?  Almost invariably, the
recommendation I see on the mailing lists is that the DAM should find
someone else to help; but if there are qualified, trusted people
stepping forward to volunteer and then being turned away, I don't think
I've ever heard anything from them.

And not to name names, but I don't think relaxing the review process is
the right solution because even in the current system I've seen some
developers come out of the NM queue with still *way* too much learning
ahead of them to justify trusting them to make independent decisions as
developers.  Just IMHO.  Streamlining is good, but not if there's a net
drop in Debian's quality as a result.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer