Re: A birthday message and a RFS for Film Gimp 0.13-1

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:30:02PM -0800, Tom Marshall wrote:
[snip]
> under sponsorship at almost any time.  However, the prospect of an unbounded
> waiting period with no feedback has made me reconsider whether I really want
> to go through with it.  If new DD's are not important enough to the
> organization to be given prompt and considerate attention (at least a
> timeline and some feedback), why should I join that organization?  Existing
> DD's have volunteered to package my application and I could simply accept
> their offer without the extra stress.

Note, however, that people *are* getting through the NM process, in spite
of the perceived problems. Unfortunately, the few who aren't getting
through aren't getting any feedback, and they are complaining about it
because of the lack of information. I'd say there *is* a problem, but it
may not be as bad as it seems.

> It would be nice if the new developer process had (1) a defined set of
> criteria and a test to see if the criteria is met, (2) a timeline and/or
> deadline for response at each step of the process, and (3) some feedback
> about the process.  Without these, there will probably be many people who
> decide that it's just not worth the effort and stress.  It would be a shame
> to continue losing these people.
[snip]

Indeed. The problem is how to get enough DDs to start doing something
about it. I think (1) is probably already mostly there; (2) is partially
there but needs to apply to both parties, not just the applicant; and (3)
is a bit lacking at the moment (at least in some cases).

Hardware is like a candle, and software like the flame on the candle. Making
many candles actually requires materials and expertise; lighting many flames
needs only one initial flame and is easily done by anyone thereafter.
Hardware manufacturers will always be around; but there aren't many flame
manufacturers around these days.