Re: gcc 3.2 transition in unstable

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:53:57AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 12:49, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > This conclusion doesn't follow from the facts.  Either the build machine
> > is up to date, in which case g++ already points to g++-3.2; or it's not,
> > in which case additional hints added to another package that's also
> > out-of-date won't help at all.
>
> Yes, but at least we have a rather unequivocal statement somewhere that
> Debian requires gcc 3.2 to build packages now.

Only for uploads of C++ packages to the archive. The -devel-announce
post should be enough to keep developers aware of that, and the
autobuilders will already do the right thing (so there's no need to use
Build-Depends to prompt them). For random local builds it's generally
speaking *not* necessary to use the newer compiler, and they're the only
thing we stand a chance of influencing here.