Re: gcc 3.2 transition in unstable

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Colin Walters wrote:

> Since I feel that the effective build-time dependency on g++ 3.2 for
> many C++-using packages should be expressed *somehow*, I am going to
> update the build-essential package.  So unless anyone has anything new
> to add (or objects to the change in build-essential), I believe we can
> put this issue behind us.

I object to changing the build-essential package.

If your package build-depends on g++-3.2 in the sense that it should *not*
be compiled using any other g++ compiler, you should add a build-depends
on g++-3.2.

A build-depends on build-essential (>= whatever) is an extremely ugly way
to obfuscate a build-depends on g++-3.2.

Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend.