Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:15:04AM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > FYI, this is the final draft with the changes Colin and others suggested.
> > it is now being sent to press@d.o and dwn@d.o for wider dissemination.
> >
> > The Debian Project (http://www.debian.org/), producers of Debian
> > GNU/Linux the premier Linux distribution created by the community for the
>            ^
>            you still need a comma here.

ok.

> > community, reaffirmed today its' ongoing commitment to supporting Linux on
>                               ^^^^
>                               lose the apostrophe.  should read "its".

The apostrophe should be there because it's a possessive isn't it?

(Is all this bickering the reason we are known as the IT industry? :-)

> > the Sparc and Alpha architectures.
> >
> > Sparc and Alpha users enjoy the same vast breadth of free software (some
> > 10,000 packages in our stable distribution), bug fixes, and timely
> > security updates as any other Debian users.  Debian, as an all volunteer
>                                                        ^^
>                                         strike this word?

Mm I think not because we are trying to emphasize it is this quality which
is salient.  Leaving out the as de-emphasizes the importance of us being
an all volunteer organization.

> > organization can afford to support any architecture for which there is
>               ^
>               comma here.

Ok.

> > sufficient community interest.  This promises a long healthy life for both
> > our Alpha and Sparc binary distributions.
>   ^^^
>
> I don't think you should use "our" here ... press releases tend to
> be written from a third person perspective.  Perhaps simply
>
>   This promises a long and healthy life for the Alpha and Sparc binary
>   distributions of Debian GNU/Linux.

1.  "our." emphasizes the "labor of love" aspect of Debian as opposed to
    being a "product"
2.  That they are distributions of Debian GNU/Linux is implied already.

Any further comments before I really, really send this out?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>