Re: Suggested press release in reaction to RHAT dropping sparc and alpha

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Rob Browning wrote:

> I might be inclined to try and keep the tone more positive, with
> greater emphasis on our advantages than their limitations -- I suspect
> the terms "hostage" and "agendas" may just inflame various people
> without much positive benefit otherwise, that is unless RedHat has
> somehow upset us enough lately that we really do consider them an
> adversary.

Well the goal is to poach some of their users :-)  Still, point taken,
they are not the enemy and shouldn't be treated as such.

> Maybe replace "Because ..." with something like

Ok here is the revised version:

The Debian Project (http://www.debian.org/) producers of Debian GNU/Linux,
the premier Linux distribution created by the community for the community
reaffirmed today its' ongoing commitment to supporting Linux on the Sparc
and Alpha architectures.

Sparc and Alpha users enjoy the same vast breadth of free software (some
10,000 packages in our stable distribution,) bug fixes, and timely
security updates as any other Debian user.  Debian, as an all volunteer
organization can afford to support any architecture for which there is
sufficient community interest.  This should promise a long healthy life
for our both our Alpha and Sparc binary distributions

For more information on the many architectures Debian has been ported to,
please see http://www.debian.org/ports

Now who do I talk to about getting this made into an official press
release?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>