Re: lyx maintainer?

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 03:38:03AM +1100, Andrew Lau wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 10:50:42AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > It is my intention to upload Lyx (and indeed Balsa) this weekend.

> Hi Jules,
> 	Nice to see you're back. You can't actually legally upload
> Balsa yet. Much to my horror when I was repackaging Balsa 2, I
> discovered that Balsa had no OpenSSL exclusion clause in its
> license. Balsa was also indirectly linking to OpenSSL via the ESMTP
> libraries as well. So in fact, the current Balsa package in Debian is
> actually violating the GPL!
> 	Thankfully, I've managed to persuade Balsa-devel to add an
> OpenSSL exclusion clause to their license in their 2.0.4 release which
> is due sometime before Christmas. Until then, feel free to look over
> the work I did during your absence [1].

If upstream is willing to add a license exemption, you don't have to
wait for the next upstream release to get this resolved; a license
doesn't have to come in the form of a LICENSE file.  All you need to do
is ask them if you can apply this exemption to the current version of
the software.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer