Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 06:12:08PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 11:33:19AM -0500, Matthew McGuire wrote:
>
> > > On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:41:28PM +0100, Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> was heard to say:
> > > >
> > Whenever I run and apt-get update it only grabs the package files that
> > have been updated. (The Hit or Get thing in it I think.) If there is a
> > way to get a list of what was updated, you could then search for 'security'
> > in the URL of the files grabbed. If you find it, then alert the user with
> > the appropriate icon or dialog. I don't see any reason why a dialog would be
> > inappropriate here. Security updates are pretty important and the dialog
> > could allow the user to background an apt-get upgrade process if needed.
>
> The dialog doesn't allow me anything, the dialog *forces me* to take my
> attention from whatever I'm doing and respond to the computer's command.
>
> The computer should respond to *my* actions, not the other way around.
> Basic human interface issue. Robots are *our* slaves. Dialogs should
> not popup other than as a result of an action from our side or when the
> whole system /really/ is in such a bad state that it cannot do anything
> at all without guidance from us.

Valid Point

> Visible indications are fine, but let the user choose what he wants to
> do. A small flashing red arrow is about the maximum amount of indication
> you can give without being obnoxious.

Again, Valid Point

> Needless to say, I hate obnoxious slaves. ;-)
>
> > From an administration standpoint this is a great idea. Sure blows
> > Windows Update out of the water. :)
>
> I'd say security.d.o is what does that, not the dialog. If you could
> click on the arrow to launch dselect, that'd be fine and more than
> enough 'help'.

So yeah, another valid point. :)

However I would recommend it open something similar to the opening of
apt-get upgrade which lists exactly what needs to be updated and offers
a Y/n prompt for the user. This would keep it simple and easy to use for
most people. Alternatively you can assign a right or middle click to it
that opens the package manager of choice.

Happy Holidays,

Matthew McGuire