Re: location of UnicodeData.txt

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 07:02:07PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:47:52AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > Emile van Bergen writes:
> > > I'd say that the definition of Unicode, heck even ASCII, involves a fair
> > > amount of creativity.
> >
> > I don't doubt that the development of Unicode involved creativity: under
> > current law it probably qualifies as a patentable invention.  Inventions
> > and ideas, however, cannot be copyrighted: only creative works reduced to
> > tangible form can.  I'm arguing that the _creation_ _of_ _that_ _table_
> > involved no creativity, not that the invention of Unicode didn't.
>
> Well, so you say that if I write a novel, all my creativity is in the
> abstract idea; putting the words down involved no extra creativity; thus
> the sequence of words cannot be copyrighted?

Copyright _cannot_ be applied to ideas, only the implementation or
physical representation of thost ideas. (I can't copyright "an mp3
player" but I can copyright "The mp3 player I wrote".)

A patent however, applies to a new process or invention, which will usually
encompass an idea more strongly. (I can patent "A method of turning mp3s
into sound" as long as no-one else has done it that way before.)

Patents are civil actions, while copyright violation is criminal, so
copyright _has_ to be more limited than patents since there's more
punishment and less recourse.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.