Re: location of UnicodeData.txt

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:53:00 -0500
Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:23:51PM -0500, Jim Penny wrote:
> > > I see no problem with this license as far as it goes, but it
> > > doesn't go far enough.
> > >
> > > There is no permission granted to make modifications (and
> > > distribute modified versions).  (DFSG 3)
> >
> > So, according to Branden, international standards are supposed to
> > allow debian the right to modify them and to distribute the modified
> > versions.
>
> No, international standards can say whatever they want, and bear
> whatever license the standards organization wants, within the law.
>
> Debian has its Free Software Guidelines and we do not, in theory,
> apply them differently based on who the licensor is.

So doesn't this mean it's time to change the social contract or the DFSG
(are standards software?) to make an exception for 'documents and files
describing standards'. It's clear that we can't live without them (hence
should be in main), and it is also clear there is no use in changing
standards on you're own.

And no I can't make an amendment, I'm not a DD.

Tim