Re: gpg-agent?

On 2002-11-27, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> That would still let root replace /usr/bin/gpg with such a program
> though. So something like this is of some value, but only manages to
> narrow the window that lets someone who has temporary access to, say,
> a laptop with an agent running and a passphrase entered, to such a
> laptop on which you have used sudo in the last 15 minutes. Correct me
> if I'm wrong.

I find it interesting that you point this out, because I was just
wondering wether it would be possible to just open(2) the file
/usr/bin/gpg and exec(2) this file via the file descriptor from this
open(2) calland not the path name.

Root, of course, could still replace the /usr/bin/gpg program and get
away with it, but this seems to me to guarantee that the binary can not
be stolen away under the unsuspecting user's noses.

Have fun,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, asf@jabber.at, antifuchs
Hail RMS! Hail Cthulhu! Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!