Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Hi,

--- Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> So, volunteer your time and start packaging
> xserver-xfree86-experimental, if you think that's
> feasible.  Just because
> the X maintainer chooses to give priority to keeping
> architectures in
> sync doesn't mean that it's not possible to provide
> structure within
> Debian that users of newer x86 hardware can't
> benefit from.  However, you
> have no call to criticize Branden's priorities if
> you're not willing to
> commit your own time to improving Debian.

Time, I'm afraid, is something I lack.  Don't get me
wrong the work Branden has done is great, what I'm
trying to point out is that 4.2 is not in stable and,
currently, will no tbe in stable for a year or more.
Thats not good.  I think 2.2 is still the default
kernel in 3.0 (I could be wrong) and so on.

This is not a good situation and it will only get
worse is the situation does not improve.  Sure I can
grab this stuff from testing but I need it in stable
in order for me to use in in a production system.
This, obviously cannot happen at the moment as stable
is a long long way off.  Believe me, I've been around
this for longer than I care remember, Debian will
become an also-ran akin to Slackware if things do
_not_ change.

Jon