Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> i remember a year or so ago when i complained about this worthless
> practice i said that it would end up consuming hundreds of megabytes
> - i was told that was ridiculous, it would never happen.

Megabytes!  Horrors.  You counted up to 96 MB in your computation,
which I will assume to be correct.

Current cost of hard disk is something between $1.00 and $1.50 per
gigabyte.

So that means that 96 MB costs the whopping sum of about twelve cents.
Whom shall I write a check to?  And if it's hundreds of megabytes,
which I'm happy to consider, then the cost of holding all those
kernels might well rise to a whole dollar.

I just added up the size of all i386 packages in the pool on auric.
(There are 15,688 of them, since there are multiple versions of many).
That comes to the whopping amount of 6,367,729,045 bytes, which looks
like a lot, except that it's really 6GB.  Oh my golly, that might be a
whopping $10.

The total size of /org/ftp.debian.org/ftp/pool on auric is about 63
GB.  Which is about right, since we have ten released ports.

Now, if we were to have precompiled binaries for say ten different
varieties of i386 (and I think that's enough to make anyone happy),
the 6GB currently holding 386 packages would be 60, for a net increase
of 54GB.

We'd need perhaps three different m68k varieties (two more than now),
one more Sparc, one more alpha, no more powerpc IIUC, no more arm, one
more mips, one more HPPA (or two?), no more ia64 or s390.  So that's
nine more varities of 386 to consider, and maybe six for the other
architectures.  So the total would be fifteen more copies of every
package, and it's 6GB per copy, so the total storage requirement is
about 90GB.

Branden, could we afford to buy a couple 110 GB disks to hold this
increase?

Thomas