Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:15:12PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> We'd need perhaps three different m68k varieties (two more than now),
> one more Sparc, one more alpha, no more powerpc IIUC, no more arm, one
> more mips, one more HPPA (or two?), no more ia64 or s390.  So that's
> nine more varities of 386 to consider, and maybe six for the other
> architectures.  So the total would be fifteen more copies of every
> package, and it's 6GB per copy, so the total storage requirement is
> about 90GB.
>
> Branden, could we afford to buy a couple 110 GB disks to hold this
> increase?

If you are serious about wanting to see this happen, how about running an
autobuilder to build optimized packages for a subset of the distribution
and providing public access to them?  Then we can make some empirical
measurements, changing only these packages while leaving the rest of the
system unchanged, and see if there is anything worth bothering about.

If not you, I would appreciate if someone else would do this and put an end
to all the hypothesizing.

--
 - mdz