Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 00:00, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 20:16, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> writes:
> >
> > > Supporting our users who want to compile optimised binaries from our
> > > source packages has NOTHING TO DO WITH OFFICAL MIRROR SIZE.
> >
> > True, but I advocate the really radical thing, which is to provide
> > binaries for our users already optimized for different architectures.
>
> I think this should start out as a semi-official project, like somewhere
> on .debian.net.  If people really like it, then we could think about
> merging it.

I agree Walters. It would be nice to have support for optimized
binaries. IMHO it would help Debian out a lot. Having source files
avalible is a good way to let those who want total control over their
system be able to compile the way they want to. Gentoo as far as I know
is all compiled which would take a long time...heh mozilla takes a few
hours on a decently configured computer as it is. You want to make the
bulk install as easy as possible then customize from there...it is the
right way to do it. I see no argument on Gentoo's side at all. But then
that is my 2 cents and that may not matter to those "stubborn" people
out there. They just need to see the light is all :)

--
Sean Harshbarger