Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:50:32PM +1100, Andrew Lau wrote:
> 	The question I want to pose today is "Are we losing users to
> Gentoo?"

Hell yes, and it's great. The number of morons using Debian has
noticably decreased since gentoo came on the scene; they now have
something that will give them the stupid things they asked for, so
they stop asking us for them.

> Whatever happened to all the Debian evangelists?

I ate them.

> 	I know that there's plenty of logistical/mirroring reasons as
> to why we shouldn't duplicate a lot of the i386 tree by creating a
> i686 tree, but could we seriously not consider a partial i686
> optimised tree as a compromise to attract some of the Gentoo users
> back with our strengths in policy and testing?

The answer is the same as always. Provide evidence that this would
significantly help performance. Nobody has yet done so.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK