Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:45:58AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > There are tools to assist in building optimised binaries already, but im
> > sure people would laugh if someone filed a bug agaisnt a source package
> > because it wasnt compatable with such tools.
>
> Oh, I don't know. I've fixed a bug in one of my packages because it
> wouldn't cross-compile for the sh architecture. I see no reason why
> supporting extra build tools is any more outlandish than that, as long
> as things are clearly enough documented so that I can believe the
> requirements aren't too onerous

Yep. And this part of gentoo (being able to define common custom
./configure options for all packages you build) is actually the only
thing worth noting IMHO.

It would rock if we could support that somehow.

Michael

--
<mechanix> anyone from the MIA team around? tbm?
<Ganneff> sounds nice. how long do you have to be MIA to get into that team? :)