Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:27:10PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> There are tools to assist in building optimised binaries already, but im
> sure people would laugh if someone filed a bug agaisnt a source package
> because it wasnt compatable with such tools.

Oh, I don't know. I've fixed a bug in one of my packages because it
wouldn't cross-compile for the sh architecture. I see no reason why
supporting extra build tools is any more outlandish than that, as long
as things are clearly enough documented so that I can believe the
requirements aren't too onerous (that is, there should be some
expectation that they can apply or be made to apply to all packages in
Debian, and the requirements shouldn't randomly change from time to
time).