Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On 21 Nov 2002 02:10:42 +0100
Josselin Mouette <josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Le jeu 21/11/2002 à 02:06, Glenn McGrath a écrit :
>
> > Supporting our users who want to compile optimised binaries from our
> > source packages has NOTHING TO DO WITH OFFICAL MIRROR SIZE.
>
> Wasting our sponsors' resources requires evidence that it brings
> something valuable to our users.

You (and suspect a lot of other people) i think are missing the point.

Optimised bianries dont have to be stored on mirrors.

If our users want to download a SOURCE package from a debian mirror to
their own hard disk, and from that source package compile an optimised
binary and store the optimised binary ON THEIR HARD DISK, then it hasnt
effected the size of the official mirror, if anything it makes the source
packages more valuable, and therefore more worthy of being mirrored.

There are tools to assist in building optimised binaries already, but im
sure people would laugh if someone filed a bug agaisnt a source package
because it wasnt compatable with such tools.

We could also assist by provided authentication of optimised deb's that
users built (within reason).