Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:08:46PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
Nowhere in my email did I mention "graphical installation". I addressed
general ease of use issues, along with the implied idea of making things
look nicer/easier.

OK. s/graphical installation/desktop environment/. Or whatever umbrella
term you want to use. The specifics don't matter--the point is that it's
not something that rates a lot of attention by the majority of
developers (if it did, someone would have addressed it.) I think you'd
find that a lot of developers use a command line almost exclusively,
hate icons as a distraction and productivity killer, and find editing
config files with vi (or emacs) quicker and easier than using a gui for
that purpose. There are certainly rough spots and things that need to be
addressed (e.g., it probably is time for some hardware detection as an
option during the install, we need to cut down even more on the number
of questions that pop up during installation, it would be nice to say
"always" or "never" for particular conffile upgrades, etc.) Some of
those things will help new users, but the list of things that the
majority developers find annoying enough to work on probably isn't going
to mirror the requirements of users migrating from windows (or whatever
such set you want to define.) That's just the way things work in an
organization where people work in their spare time on something they
want to use themselves.
Your reply proves the point I was making.

What point? You claimed that debian developers need an attitude
adjustment--but I think that's a misguided attitude.

Mike Stone