Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:54:17 -0800, Philip Brown wrote:

> In some senses, debian was the ORIGINAL "make it easy on the user"
> linux distribution. That was one of the major things that set it
> apart, through the magic of apt-get.

No, the idea of apt-get isn't to make anything easier for the user. The
idea is to do package management RIGHT. The fact that the system is
easy to use is, to some extent, a byproduct of the quality of its
design. It's REALLY HARD to make an easy-to-use system on
top of a fundamentally broken design.

> Now the basic standard of "end user experience" has been raised. Now
> not only does it have to be easy to install, AND things to work
> together, but they expect them to look nice, be easy to use at the
> application level, etc.

How many furlongs are there in a fortnight? How does "flashy
GUI" translate into "ease of use"?

> If debian as a whole does not raise its general standards of user
> experience, then it risks being a "Doom II", in a Q3 Arena world.

I've always thought of Debian as the "nethack" of OSes. If
you try to replace my nethack with a FPS, I'll sic my pet black
dragon on you.

--
Chris DuPuis
dupuis@syntax.com